Outline of our Case: More detailed outline of the case and the order of the Witnesses
We follow with the order of our witnesses the order of our caseline. Our caseline reads as follows:
Harry S Truman is innocent of crimes against humanity, because the decisions he made aimed at defending the people of the democratic US, liberating others from Japan’s imperialism and ending WWII with the least possible casualties. He sought to protect the world from Japanese aggression, a grave danger.
We begin our case with the first clause: all decisions made by Harry S Truman were aimed at defending the democratic US. As a clause relating to military and security, we include witnesses who best encapsulate this idea.
- Machiavelli, Author of the Prince – Regina (IB), Sophia
- Brigadier General Doolittle, Pilot of the plane 2344 of the Tokyo Raids, aka “Doolittle Raids”- Hyo Jae, Petros
- Lieutenant General USA Army, Richard K. Sutherland, “Downfall” Strategic Plan – Virgil, Sophia
- Marshall, George Catlett, Commander for implementing of the Marshall Plan – Nick, Sophia
- General Douglas McArthur – Tom, Petros
- General Curtis LeMay – Alex S., Andreas
- Leslie R. Groves, General in Charge of the Manhattan Project – Marios M., Andreas
- Harry Stimson, Secretary of War – Vangelis, Angelos
These witnesses will explain using evidence and their own logic from their respective experiences and positions in the war, helping to explain how they feel this clause is relevant and absolute.
We then move onto the second clause; which is to liberate others from Japanese imperialism. As this pertains to a more political sector, our witnesses reflect this and have experience and evidence to back up their case.
- First Lady, Mrs. Harry S. Truman – Stela, Sophia
- Kim Gu, President of the Provisional – (IB), Angelos
- James Francis Byrnes, Secretary of State of Truman – Sophia K., Petros
- Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Sir Winston Churchill – Ian K. (IB), Andreas
- Former President Franklin Delano Roosevelt – Fay, Sophia
After this the caseline proceeds to address the issue of the least amount of casualties. To illustrate this we chose certain witnesses who illustrate through their extensive knowledge on science to show how the United States took pains to make sure the least amount of civilians were lost not only through the decision to drop the atomic bombs as opposed to any other options, but also in the science that went behind other operations such as the conventional bombing.
- Karl Compton, Atomic Scientist – Juanita (Ruelens), Angelos
- Robert Oppenheimer, Scientist – Marios B., Angelos
- Sir George Paget Thomson, Chairman MAUD Committee of the British Government – Nancy, Petros
- Carl Norden, Designer of the Norden Bomb Site – Philip T., Angelos
To finish off we end with two witnesses who encapsulate the true scale of the Japanese brutality which has spread along with their reign of imperialism.
- Female Survivor of the Nanking Massacre – Ellie, Petros
- Widow of a US Navy Officer from Pearl Harbor – Sofia P., Andreas
These witnesses show through their moving testimonies the realities begind the Japanese war ideology and the extreme importance of stopping this brutal people at all cost.
Finally, we end with Truman, to wrap up our case and to defend himself personally.