I was born in 1921 in the United States and recieved an education in Columbia University and Oxford University, with a law and graduate degree. I then spent the years leading up to this trial working on projects of international law, which have prepared me for this challenge.

On my side i have the witnesses being:

1. “Defending”; Military/Security
  • Machiavelli, Author of the Prince – Regina (IB), Sophia
  • Lieutenant General USA Army, Richard K. Sutherland, “Downfall” Strategic Plan – Virgil, Sophia
  • Marshall, George Catlett, Commander for implementing of the Marshall Plan – Nick, Sophia

1. “Democratic US”; Political
  • First Lady, Mrs. Harry S. Truman – Stela, Sophia
  • Former President Franklin Delano Roosevelt – Fay, Sophia

I am most focused on the political and military aspects of this case, chosing to explain through my witnesses and cross examination how Truman chose the only option that would be politcally and militarily most effective.

My cross examination witnesses will be:
1. Admiral William D. Leahy
2. Colonel Saburo Hayashi
3. Japanese Emergeny Relief Coordinator
4. Japanese American Nisei of the Internment Camps
5. Leiutenant Jocye of the Doolittle Raids
6. Citizen of Dresden

My main points are:
-to emphasize that although the Japanese were opening up to surrender, they were doing so in ways that would allow them to preserve their empire system and keep a dangerous government alive, something the Allies could not allow to stand for the future of world peace and for the protection of democracy
-to stress that all other options or alternatives to dropping the bomb would have been either uneffective or cost too many lives
-to show the humanitarian aid extended to the Japanese after the war, proving Truman innocent of crimes against humanity and showing his aversion to destroying a race but rather stopping imperialism- for the protection of everyone

Some key sources I use are:

Butow, Robert J. C. Japan's Decision to Surrender. Stanford: Stanford UP, 1954. Print.

Suzuki, Prime Minister. Public Address. Japan, Tokyo. 9 June 1945. Speech.

Togo. "Togo-Sato Cable." Letter to Sato. 12 June 1945. MS. Japan, Tokyo.