Franklin Delano Roosevelt 

My Witness: 

Franklin Delano Roosevelt 

My Name:

Fay N.

Background: 

I am Franklin Delano Rooselvelt, the 32rd President of the United States of America. I was born in January 30th 1882 in Hyde Park New York and studied at Harvard University and Columbia University Law School. I became President in 1933 and served for an unprecidented time of three terms, leading the country both through a depressiona and a World War. I unfortunately died on April 12th 1945, after fighting polio for many years. However, I have come back to life for this one case, in order to advocate for my trusted vice President Harry S. Truman, and prove to all of you that he is indeed innocent. 

Connection to this Case:  

I took Harry S. Truman under my wing in 1944, since he became my running mate in the presidential elections. He became my vice president after my victory and I am very proud to see that he assumed duties as the President of the United States. As a prominent political figure, I can aid Mr. Truman's defense by justifying America's involvement in the war, along with several of the decisions that had to be made throughout the course of the war. It is my sole belief that my good friend and advisor Harry Truman is innocent of all charges against him, since he acted bravely and responsibly, and sought to end this horrid war with the least amount of casualties.  

Testimony:   

I will attempt to justify America's involvement in the War, which occured through the unprovoked brutal attack of Pearl Harbor by the Japanese.

I will justify the initiation of the Manhattan Project which was needed for the possible defense of the Democratic U.S.

I will emphasize the inability of the Japanese to surrender to the terms laid out to them in several different conferences.

I will attempt to prove to all that President Truman made a decision that aimed to end a horrid war with the least amount of casualties, while also putting a stop to the territoral expansion of a dangerous nation with poisonous ideas. 

Source #1- Roosevelt's Letter to Emperor Hirohito

Source Evaluation:  

Origin-

A letter by President Roosevelt to Emperor Hirohito- December 6th 1941

Citation-

"Franklin D. Roosevelt: Appeal to Emperor Hirohito to Avoid War in the Pacific."  American Presidency Project 

Purpose-

I aimed to diffuse some tention between Japan and the U.S. and thus wrote a letter in an attempt to create a state of peace between the two nations. 

Value of this source in preparation of my testimony-  

This source shows that an attempt of peace was made by the U.S., before it had even entered the war. The attempt was rejected by the Japanese, who answered it with the unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbor, positioning therefore the U.S in the war. 

Limitations of this source in preparation of my testimony-

There is speculation about why the Japanese ignored the letter, with many saying that the information was withheld from Emperor Hirohito by his government officials, until the attack of Pearl Harbor had been completed.

Source #2- United Nations Declaration 

Source Evaluation

Origin-

From the United Nations Joint Declaration on January 1st 1942.

Citation-

“Draft Joint Declaration of the United Nations. Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library & Museum. 1Jan. 1942. 

Purpose-

The purpose of the United Nations was to be a general international organization, based on the principal sovereign equality of all nations. The declaration of the United Nations was signed by representatives of 26 nations, and thus pledged to use their full resources against the Axis and agreeing not to make a separate peace. 

As early on as 1941, the Allies laid down their terms for the war against Japan, with an example being the United Nations that aimed to be a international peace organization. The declaration was signed by 26 countries which pledged to use their full resources against the Axis powers, in order to make the dream of world peace come true. 

It is a joint Declaration, which only represents the Allied powers.