My Witness:  Xia Guying, a survivor of the Nanking Massacre

My Name:  Ellie Bouliou

Background: I am a survivor of the Nanking Massacre. December 13th, 1937 was the day the Japanese army attacked the town. My family and I had moved a couple of days ago to the countryside hoping to escape what was coming. The day the Japanese soldiers came I was hiding in a house along with our neighbors and the rest of my family. When the Japanese entered, they immediately murdered every male in the house, raped all the women and cut their heads off, including my mother and my two younger sisters. I was lucky to survive by hiding behind four dead bodies under a table. I stayed there for three days until a young couple from the Safety Zone of Nanking found me and took me there with them. I stayed in the Safety Zone until the massacre was over but even there, I witnessed several cruelties the Japanese were doing. I heard many stories from other witnesses who survived; stories so cruel, no one could ever imagine.

Connection to this Case:  I am defending Truman's decisions because I have witnessed the Japanese atrocities and understand his intentions were to minimize the casualties and stop the Japanese from doing again what they did to my people. I believe the Japanese were unstoppable therefore someone needed to stop them in order to prevent other people from getting tortured and killed the way my family and so many others did.

Your Testimony: 
 - I will show to the Jury the effects of the Japanese atrocities in Nanking.
 - I will prove how the Japanese had a cruel unstoppable army which got out of control.
 - I will show how it was necessary for someone to stop the Japanese because otherwise more people would have been tortured and killed.

Key Sources:   (You must include at least two key sources that help to support your position)  You may add sources in the following ways:  

1) Upload an image of the source as a graphic (use insert media above);

2) Add a link to a key source document in word or PDF form (use insert file above);

3) You may copy and paste the text into your page

Source #1-

Origin-
Bates, Miner Searly. "Some Pictures from Nanking." Some Pictures from Nanking (1937): 1-2. Yale Divinity School Library. Yale Divinity School Library, 2008. Web. 19 Apr. 2015.

Notes from Miner Searly Bates, member of the international commitee of the Nanking safety zone, on the situation of the town and the people in it two days after the first Japanese attack.

Purpose- The purpose of this source is to keep specific details and events on the day they happened. Probably for future need of specific evidence to show to the rest of the world. Also to show how fast the situation escalated since it is written on the second day after the attack.

Value of this source in preparation of my testimony-  It is an eyewitness report written on the day the events took place, which makes it more reliable since the memory of the writer is more fresh. Also the date is on the paper therefore we are sure about how fast things escalated during the first days of the massacre.

Limitations of this source in preparation of my testimony- The name of the writter in not on the primary source therefore it is not proven that he wrote it but it is understandable from the context of the source.

Source #2- 

Origin-
Smythe, Lewis. "Nanking Massacre Project." Cases of Disorder by Japanese Soldiers in The Safety Zone." (1937): 1-2. Yale Divinity School Library. Yale Divinity School Library, 2008. Web. 16 Apr. 2015. 

Notes from Lewis Smythe, member of the International Committee for the Nanking Safety Zone, on cases of disorder by Japanese soldiers in the Safety Zone. List of events of the Japanese not respecting the borders of the Safety Zone which were agreed but frequently invaded.

Purpose- The purpose of the source is to keep track of the Japanese army behavior since they got out of control. 

Value of this source in preparation of my testimony- This source has the signature of the writer at the bottom therefore we know for sure that a person who wrote it was present during the massacre. The writer was a member of the International Committee of the Safety Zone which assures his presence during these events and makes his words more reliable. Also it is not sent to anyone therefore the writer has no need to exaggerate or change the facts.

Limitations of this source in preparation of my testimony- It includes information only from the first three days of the massacre therefore we don't know if later on the situation became better or worse.