Widow of US Navy Officer from Pearl Harbor, Sue Kelly

Represented By: Sofia P.

Background:   

My name is Sue Kelly, and my husband, Jonathan Kelly, was one of the Navy Officers of the Pearl Harbor US navy base. I was 25 years old when my husband died during the Japanese attack in Pearl Harbor; and left me all alone to take care of my 2-year-old son. We got married when I was 23 years old and he was 27. As soon as we got married, I started my studies in order to be a nurse, in the University Queen’s Medical Center, Honolulu. Furthermore, during the attack my University colleagues and I, volunteered as nurses. 

Connection to this Case: 

I am on the defense side, because I believe that Harry S. Truman acted to defend the frightened and tormented people of the United States. He wanted to heal the wounds of the broken families due to the Japanese aggression of the bombing attack in the Pearl Harbor (December 7th, 1941). The first bomb hit its target at 7:53 a.m., the second one at 8:55 a.m, and by 9:55 a.m. it was all over. The Japanese left behind them chaos; 2,403 dead Americans, 1,178 injured, 188 destroyed planes and a cripped Pacific Fleet that included 8 damaged and destroyed battleships. 

My Testimony: 

My main arguments for this trial are:

• That Japanese had no powerful reason to attack a US city with thousand of civilians, without a warning
    • The US did not enter the war, the Japanese forced us to enter the war
    • And, that Harry S. Truman acted in order to defend his country and his people

Key Sources:  

1. First Source: Enterprise Air Group Report on December 7th, 1941
  2. Second Source: Remembering Pearl Harbor: Interview with a Navy Survivor

Source Evaluation:  

Source #1- Enterprise Air Group Report on December 7th, 1941

Press the following PDF.doc to open the Report:

Enterprise Air Group Report Dec. 7, 1941.pdf

Origin of this source:

The source comes from the site: Hawaii Aviation- An archive of Historic Photos and Facts (http://hawaii.gov/hawaiiaviation). This page is from the official site of the Aloha State (as they call it). This site was made in order to share and preserve the illustrations throughout Hawaiian history. 

Source Cited:

Young, H. L. "Hawaii Aviation." Enterprise Air Group Report on December 7, 1941 —. Benjamin R. Schlapak, 15 Dec. 1941. Web. 26 Mar. 2015. <http://hawaii.gov/hawaiiaviation/world-war-ii/december-7-1941/Enterprise%20Air%20Group%20Report%20Dec.%207%2C%201941.pdf/view>.

Purpose of this source:

This report was written by the commander Enterprise Air Group, reporting the events of of the Pearl Harbor Attack. Through this text, H.L. Young (the commander), reports that the Japanese forces did not only attack the Navy Bases, but also the U.S.S planes in the air (US Planes). Furthermore, this man witnesses and writes in his report the magnificent plan and organization that the Japanese had for the attack. He reports most of the moves that the Japanese planes take, and that there were no loses from the Japanese side. 

Value of this source in preparation of my testimony:

This source is valuable for my presentation, since it describes in detail the conditions of the whole Japanese attack, and most importantly not only in land as most sources refer to. There are facts in this report that are important and are not known, and that makes the source more interesting, useful, and important. Furthermore, it is a primary source, which means that it shares his thoughts and experiences with accuracy since the report is written within 9 days after the attack. 

Limitations of this source in preparation of my testimony:

There might be some limitations to this source, since it is written by a man, who was on duty that day, and he was not on land. Furthermore, the events may have been interpreted differently, between air point view, and land point of view. Lastly, because he is an American 'soldier', he may have not seen the whole image accurately, and the source might be somewhat biased. 

Source #2- Remembering Pearl Harbor: Interview with a Navy Survivor

Remembering Pearl Harbor_ Interview with a Navy Survivor _ Naval Historical Foundation.pdf

Interview continued...

Origin of this source:

This source was found in the Naval Historical Foundation site, (http://www.navyhistory.org/). The Naval Historic Foundation is located in the Washington Navy Yard. As their mission states, 'The Foundation preserves and honors the legacy of those who came before us. We educate and inspire the generations who will follow'. The site is made in order for every person to be able to learn and refer to actual facts throughtout USA's Naval History. 

Source Cited:

"The Attack of Pearl Harbor." Pearl Harbor Survivors Online. Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2015. <http://www.pearlharborsurvivorsonline.org/>.

Purpose of this source:

This source is an interview from a Navy survivor from the Pearl Harbor attack, of Captain Douglas G. Phillips. At the day of the attack, Captain Phillips was at the anchor of thr battleship, USS Utah. He was interviewed for the 71 years anniversery from the attack in Pearl Harbor. As a survivor from the Japanese Attack, Captain Phillips wanted to share his painfully story, as my character-Sue Kelly- wants to succeed through the presentation.

This source is very important, since it helped me create the emotional atmosphere for my presentation, as the widow of a US Navy Officer. Captain Phillips has witnessed the whole Japanese Attack from a first hand. He describes events, in detail that helped a lot of making realistic accurate answers, for my characters events report. 

This source has limitations, since it is bias from the time that the interview describes the story of an American witness, thath he lived the attack. On the other hand, 

Real Fooritage from the Pearl Harbor Attack:

Pearl Harbor Attack Photos: 

Kaneohe Naval Air Station,

December 7, 1941

Japanese Aircraft on mission to attack Pearl Harbor,

December 7, 1941

First Bomb Drop at Pearl Harbor,

December 7, 1941

Pearl Harbor under attack by Japanese bomber,

December 7, 1941 

Pearl Harbor is attacked by Japanese Bombers,

December 7, 1941

For more pictures please click on the following link:

http://hawaii.gov/hawaiiaviation/world-war-ii/december-7-1941/photographic-journal-of-the-day/ha_photo_album_view?b_start:int=48&-C=