Insight on Leslie R. Groves Personal Life:

Birth/Death: 17 August 1896 – 13 July 1970

Place of Birth: Albany, New York (United States)

Place of Death: Washington D.C, United States

Education: I attended the University of Washington for a year and then proceeded to study in M.I.T (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) for two years before entering West Point Military Academy from which he graduated in 1918.  

Family Life: I was married to Grace Wilson and had a son and a daughter named Gwen and Richard Hulbert Groves.  

Rank: Brigadier General 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Insight on the Manhattan Project:

The Manhattan Project was an scientific and military operation that created the first nuclear bombs amid World War II. It was driven by the United States with the backing of the United Kingdom and Canada and was under my command.  

Little Boy Atomic Bomb                       Fat Man Atomic Bomb

The Alsos Mission:

The Alsos Mission was a secret operation behind enemy lines that investigated the German nuclear project and confiscated nuclear material as well as captured German atomic scientists. The Alsos mission operated in France, Italy and Germany and throughout its course deciphered and acquired thousands of classified documents about the German nuclear project. 

British and American members of the Alsos Mission dismantling an experimental German nuclear reactor.

My Witness: Leslie R. Groves

My Name: Mario Markoutsas

Background:

I was in charge of the Manhattan Engineer Project and oversaw the construction of the Pentagon. With the service of lead scientist Julius Oppenheimer and with other scientific personnel, both the uranium and plutonium atomic bombs were developed and later tested in the Alamogordo test range. After the conclusion that the destructive power of this weapon was unmatched by any other explosive device ever created, president Harry S. Truman saw the opportunity to cease the war in the pacific with the aid of this weapon. In the "Alsos mission" under my command, a number of operations succeeded in capturing most of the key German scientists, stores of uranium ore and other nuclear raw materials, thousands of research documents regarding the development of atomic energy and reaching the conclusion that the Germans were developing atomic weapons.

Connection to this Case:

I believed that Truman's decisions were completely justified due to the nature of Japan's incessant aggression towards the democratic world and their fascist campaign that resulted in the genocide of millions of "inferior" Asian races. I claimed that the atomic bomb was necessary to cease the war with Japan and that their surrender would have been impossible without it. 

Your Testimony:  

1. The atomic bomb was necessary to force the surrender of Japan and was the medium through which The United States of America destroyed and dismantled the old order. Millions of lives in of further combat would have been lost if the atomic bomb had not been used. 

2. The Japanese were a threat to the world and had to be stopped at any cost.

3. The Japanese were not going to surrender and the regime governing them had no concern for human life, and they were going to fight to the bitter end until asserting their goal for global domination and destroying any barrier to the success of the "Japanese master race". 

4. The Japanese and Germans were collaborating in creating atomic weapons and were definitely going to attack the United States with desperate measures. 

Source Evaluation:  

Source #1- Initial meeting of Target Committee indicating the pre-requirements of the delivery of the atomic bombs. 

Notes on Initial Meeting of Target Committee. Working paper. 3rd ed. Vol. 2. N.p.: n.p., 1945. 

Origin- United States Target Committee, 1945.

Purpose- To specify the methodology and requirements necessary for the detonation of the atomic bomb. 

Value - This provides substantial proof that indicates that the United States in fact did consider reducing civilian casualties and emphasized on destructing military targets. This article is valuable because it was created by me and it reflects my military goals as well as America's vision in ending this war. 

Limitations - Not every member present in the conference signed this document, only top officials, which may indicate that differing opinions may have been suppressed by higher officials and that the information presented may be biased. 

Source #2- German submarine U-234 carrying 560 kg of Uranium to Japan.

U.S Navy. U-234 German Submarine Delivering Uranium to Japan. Digital image. U.S Navy, 16 May 1945. Web. 21 Apr. 2015.

Origin- U.S Navy Photograph. May 16, 1945

Purpose- The focus of this image is the German U-boat submarine U-234 and this image serves to testify to the existence of this submarine and its contents. 

Value - The image indicates Germany's intent to share atomic information with Japan and made Japan's intentions to obtain nuclear material clear. Although the image was taken after the atomic bomb was detonated, this submarine was set to go to Japan months before. The uranium is also exposed on the deck of the ship and it provides solid evidence about the submarine's cargo. 

Limitations - This image doesn't show the inside of the containers of Uranium, so the quantities and perhaps the materials that the containers had inside had no validation rather than what the U.S military intelligence had provided. 

Source #3-Japan was planning an attack on American soil four days prior to the atomic bomb detonating on Hiroshima with a fleet of I-400 submarines. 

U.S Navy. Japan's Submarine 'Hangars. Digital image. N.p., 1945. Web. 21 Apr. 2015.

Origin- One of the I-400 Japanese submarines captured at the end of World War II and scuttled off Oahu, Hawaii. U.S Navy 1945. 

Purpose- The newspaper's main purpose was to inform the American audience about the Japanese war machines and maybe convince the public about the necessity of using the atomic bomb in stopping the war. 

Value - The image and the newspaper serve as concrete evidence to the existence of the secret submarine I-400 and prove Japan's incessant aggression against the U.S. Before the atomic bomb, these massive submarines were deployed to attack the United States, and even after the end of the war they refused to surrender. 

Limitations - The details about the inside of the submarine are not stated, therefore any data about the lethality of this weapon of war is not revealed and perhaps it might have not been a threat to the United States.