My Witness: Elizabeth Virginia (Bess) Truman (Wallace) 

My Name: Stela Kalogirou

Background:  I

I am Bess Truman, the wife of the 33rd president of the United States. I have been with Harry Truman since we were in school. I was not very happy that my husband became the president but I support him and every decision he makes. I stay at home to take care of my husband and our daughter, Margaret Truman. While my husband was president I was a member of many clubs and organizations like, the Congressional Club, PEO Sisterhood, H Street Unites Service Organization, and the Red Cross. My name has also appeared on the Gallup Poll’s list of American women admired the most, but I always try to be humble and so does my husband.  

Connection to this Case:

I am connected to the social aspect of this case. Harry S Truman is my husband and I will always stand beside him. As his wife I had connections to his personal thoughts from any sources like his diary and letters that he sent me while he was away. He kept me informed of what was going on in his mind but never in full detail. I believe that the actions he took were right, he did whatever he could do to bring peace and end the war with the least amount of casualties. 

Your Testimony: 

I will prove to the jury with strong evidence that my husband, Harry Truman wanted to protect America and its people. My husband wanted to end the war as quickly as possible with the least amount of casualties. 

Key Sources:  

Source Evaluation:  

Source #1- 

"Letter from Harry S. Truman to Bess W. Truman, July 20, 1945. Family, Business, and Personal Affairs Papers. Truman Papers." Truman Library. National Archives and Records Administration., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2016.

Origin- This source is a letter from Harry S. Truman, to his wife, Bess Truman, written on July, 20th, 1945, it was three days after the Potsdam Conference was held.

Purpose- The purpose of this letter was for President Truman to inform his beloved wife of what he was up to when he was away. This source is very private as he writes his personal thoughts about the war between Japan and America.

Value of this source in preparation of my testimony- This source is valuable because we have a firsthand source from a person who was very important in the decision making of the dropping of the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Harry and Bess have been together from their school years and they trust each other so there is no reason for Harry Truman to lie in this letter.

Limitations of this source in preparation of my testimony- Like every primary source, especially a letter that is written by someone so important, can be subjective. This source only shows President Truman’s thoughts and opinions. In addition to being subjective President Truman has not written in complete detail about what they discussed in the meetings and if the other participants completely agreed with the actions they were about to take.   

Source #2- 

"Letter from Harry S. Truman to Bess W. Truman, July 18, 1945. Family, Business, and Personal Affairs Papers. Truman Papers." Letter from Harry S. Truman to Bess W. Truman, July 18, 1945. Family, Business, and Personal Affairs Papers. Truman Papers. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2015.

Origin- This source is a letter from Harry S. Truman, to his wife, Bess Truman, written on July, 18th, 1945, it was one day after the Potsdam Conference was held.

Purpose- This source was created to inform Bess about the days he spends away from her. He gives in a lot of details what his day looked like. He also goes on to talk about what is going on in his mind about the conflict between Japan and America. 

Value of this source in preparation of my testimony- Bess Truman and Harry Truman had a very strong bond, and they supported and trusted each other with every decision they made, Truman had no reason to lie or mislead his wife. He was honest about his opinion which was that he wanted to end the war quick and with the least amount of casualties.

Limitations of this source in preparation of my testimony- This source was written one day after the Potsdam Conference which means that the decision President Truman took was still fresh in his mind, because of that Truman might have not been sure about his decision and through this letter he was trying to persuade himself that what he was doing was the right thing for America. This letter is also written from Truman’s perspective which makes it subjective to the reader.