Daphne Apostolidis

In the noble words of Mahatma Gandhi, "My life is my message." The places I have seen, the countries I have lived in and the cultures to which I have assimilated to define who I am. As I took my first baby steps in Germany, learned to ride a bike in the United States and spoke my first Greek words in Greece, the places I have lived in are a true recollection of my multicultural character and personality. Growing up however, I dishearteningly found myself an outsider to the world. Until the age of thirteen, I was convinced that no place was my home and asked repetitively "where I am from" and "where is my home". As I jealously overheard classmates speaking of their homes, I felt neither Germany, the United States nor Greece were familiar to me. Despite my confusion, I later understood the importance of multi-culturism and tri-linguism. Looking back, I realize I did not have none but three homes; all of which shaped my multi-faceted personality and varied involvement in extra-curricular activities. Through these international experiences and my enrollment in academic, athletic and community programs at the American Community School of Athens, I have demonstrated the true qualities of a leader. My internationalism has allowed me to develop excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service and character. More importantly however, the places I have been to and countries I lived in represent me as a multi-cultured student and global citizen as well.