Left Hand Side:

In Vitro SHSY-5Y Cells from human spinal cord before treatment

Right Hand Side:

In Vitro SHSY-5Y Cells from human spinal cord after treatment

Stem Cell Research Project

During the valuable years of high school I have learned the importance of striving to fulfill my unique potential both academically and in pursuit of my equally consuming interests. By means of the Extended Essay, a compulsory element of the IB Diploma, I was given the opportunity to combine academic challenge with my determination to be of service to humanity by undertaking a project to investigate the differentiation of in vitro stem cells. The experience was crucial to my educational development, allowing me to experience conducting an experiment, carrying out extensive analysis and presenting my findings in an appropriate format. By means of this project, I rose to the challenge posed, far beyond the Biology courses offered at school, combining innovation and reason to explain complex concepts. After having successfully differentiated two in vitro cell lines, I looked for ways in which these dopamine cells could be used as potential treatments for Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Finally, although well aware of my limitations regarding age and experience, I suggested the potential benefits of stem cells in curing such illnesses.
The absolute dedication required by the task allowed me not only to satisfy my academic curiosity but also to actively engage in civic responsibility and develop the qualities of effective global citizenship.