My Reflection

The second visit of this project was mainly led by a random collection of information that in some way supported my initial aim.

During this attempt to prove Napoleon's greek origin, many new clues appeared that were not part of my starting plan. I find myself derailing off a specific direction of research and into reading another page of someone's memoires, or another recent DNA research. Even though each of my readings adds to my current knowledge on Napoleon, Mani, and Corsica, not everything is suitable or strong enough to be presented as an individual source. Due to that fact I have tried to combine everything I've learned into large, reliable sources, which are presented on this portfolio. This though attempt has proved to keep becoming increasingly difficult, as most reports on Napoleon are shown through online debates and biased sources. In result, I have almost excusilvely resorted to only reading passages of memoires or research based books, that provide me the most standarlized, accurate, and well-explained information. 

I am lucky to say that due to the importance of Napoleon's personality in the development of Europe, there is a long series of Memoires on his life and cause that are all extremely interesting to read and quote. Memoires of his visitors, staff, and friends present very different views of his association with Greece, and the one memoire by Louis Antoine Fauvelet de Bourrienne describes intricately all of his relationships with varied Greek families. Even though not all of the information can be quoted, a really big part of it adds to my current knowledge on Napoleon's life.

An also very interesting result of this random research is the observation on Napoleon Bonaparte's name. Most people don't notice his unusual surname, but when pointed out, the greek relation is evident. In addition, most sources base their whole case on Napoleon's Greek origin, on this observation, and are able to trace the surname back to the family of Stefanopoulos-Komninos and Mani. Kalomeros was a Maniot family that travelled from Mani to Corsica, and this journey will be explained in my third visit of this portfolio.

This second visit was mainly encircling very general observations and research, that I aim to analyze and dig in more deeply in my third visit. Most of this visit's sources will be referred back to in my third visit, but I tend to dig deeper in them and finally link them back to Mani. In conclusion, this visit was a general evidence introduction on Napoleon Bonaparte's greek origin, which will eventually be linked to Mani in my following third visit.

So read on...