The Wounded Angel 1903, Hugo Simberg

The painting I chose is a dark, unusual painting. I chose it exactly because of these reasons. It looks mysterious to me and also gives me the feeling of being in danger. I think to myself if even angels cannot defend themselves, how can we regular people be free of wounds? Today, there are wars going on in our neighboring countries where we can only observe people’s suffering, but we cannot really prevent their deaths or wounds. Some may try to help the wounded, but just like in the painting, there is a vast darkness and helplessness.

One of the young men in the painting is looking ahead, and the other one is looking to us. I observe hopelessness in his eyes and in both of their postures. Some angels in religious books fall from heaven because of their own fault. In contrast, the angel in this painting looks like a victim to me, and not like an angel who has sinned. It is as if God was not looking, and some evil forces hurt this angel. The feeling of helplessness and the dark silence after a big fight or o devastating storm come to my mind. I wonder what disappointments or which acts of violence the painter must have gone through to depict this feeling so accurately.