Odysseas Digbassanis

(Delivering the closing address as the Secretary General of the Athens Model United Nations, 2018)

I was born in Greece to Greek parents in May 2001. Due to my father's occupation as a diplomat for the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs I have had the privilege and valuable experience of traveling and living amongst very different people in different places. I lived in Madrid, Spain, from 2001 to 2006. During my time in Spain I was exposed to the vivid colour of the Spanish language and I received my primary education at Kings College Chamrtin. After which I moved to Ankara, Turkey, from 2006 to 2009. In Ankara I received very British schooling from the British Embassy Study Group (now British Embassy School Ankara), located in the picturesque grounds of the British Embassy.  Then I returned to Greece for one academic school year at St. Lawrence College. Subsequently, I lived in the suburbs of New York City, from 2010 to 2016. In the United States I switched from the British system to the American. I attended the following public schools in the City of Summit (NJ): Franklin Elementary, Lawton C. Johnson Summit Middle School, and Summit High School.  A notable experience from my time in the United States was my time studying photography at the International Center of Photography in Manhattan (ICP). I studied there for four semesters, specialising in black and white film photography, while also studying color film photography. My work mainly centered around street photography and capturing everyday people on the streets of New York. I was also lucky enough to exhibit my work in the ICP.

In light of my life experience and travels I have found my academic passions in the fields of history, politics, international relations. I hope to go on to study in one of these field in the near future, in the UK or Netherlands.